Tuesday, May 25, 2010

UFC 2010 Undisputed

As a change of pace, I thought I'd give this game a whirl.  I have been slowly getting into the UFC world thanks to my neighbor Jason, who gets all of the Pay Per View events.  It's a brutal sport, but no more so than boxing, which I have always had an appreciation for.  I am really new to UFC so I don't know a lot about the fighters or the lingo, but it's entertaining and the first UFC game, Undisputed 2009, had a huge fan base.

I have only played around with UFC 2010 for about an hour or so.  I did the tutorials, or most of them anyway, and dived into an exhibition fight on Beginners mode.  Using one of the few fighters I know, Georges St. Pierre from good old Canada, I took the fight to another welterweight and had a blast.  I ended up winning by TKO 37 seconds into the 2nd round and the fight was action-packed all the way.  I won't lie, the controls seem really daunting at first blush.  They are quite complex but everyone I know says that after a couple of hours they feel like 2nd nature.  I know that I had a good enough handle on them to throw punches where I wanted them to land, block punches thrown my way, I threw my opponent to the mat and tried a submission hold on him.  Not bad after so little time spent learning the controls.

As I said, the fight itself was terrific.  I have a lot to learn, but I am looking forward to it.  There are tons of fighters available and plenty of modes to play, including a career mode where you create your own fighter and move him up the ranks.  Along the way you pick up fans, give interviews and so on.  I am sure that this game, along with Red Dead Redemption, will keep me plenty busy until NCAA Football is released in mid-July.

6 comments:

Pete Anderson said...

Sounds like fun! So, have you tired of the Fight Night series?

Jim Schmaltz said...

Yeah Pete, if you remember you and I played the 1st Fight Night game when you visited St. Louis way back when. I enjoy the series but there is a certain lack of realism (too much action/too many punches thrown) that is a bit of a turn off. Still, it is a really fun series.

UFC looks awesome. Over 100 real fighters to choose from, tons of moves to use (each fighter has their own special moves) and the career mode. Can't wait to dive in fully.

Pete Anderson said...

Of course I remember. We had some epic bouts!

Jim Schmaltz said...

We'll have some epic UFC bouts in October!

Pete Anderson said...

No practicing!

Jim Schmaltz said...

Don't worry; so far Red Dead has taken up all of my free time.