Friday, June 18, 2010

Quick gaming thoughts

  • I finished Red Dead Redemption a while back and loved every second of it.  A serious, serious contender for Game Of The Year that will be hard to knock from the top spot.  Once you finish you can keep playing (but with a twist that I must admit is a bit disappointing to me) so I plan to put more and more time in just because of the sheer fun of it.  This is one game that will be fun to pop in and play when nothing else seems compelling.
  • I have put quite a bit of time into UFC 2010 Undisputed.  It is quite enjoyable, especially the career mode.  I finally got my fighter the welterweight championship belt, but this is on easy mode so it's hardly an accomplishment.  The controls become pretty natural once you invest some time into the game.  I may start a new career on the next higher difficulty level pretty soon, but we'll see.  It's still fun to play with the real fighters and see their different strengths and weaknesses.  While solid, I can't see this game being considered for GotY.
  • I returned to my 2009 GotY, Borderlands, to check out the expansion DLC The Secret Armory Of General Knoxx.  What I had read about it holds true; it is insanely difficult.  I am definitely out of practice so that may have had something to do with it, but I died multiple times at the same spot, before I really got very deep into the action.  My character is at the highest possible level (pre-DLC) so it shouldn't be this crazy, but it is.  I'll give it a shot again later, but I was very frustrated to keep running into such problems so early in the episode.
  • Other than NCAA Football 11, the only other game on my radar now is Mafia 2, which looks a whole lot like Red Dead Redemption set in the late 1940's/early 1950's.  With a release date set for August, this is a must-buy for me.
That's it for now!

No comments: