Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama picks Biden

Biden was who I wanted to get the Dem nomination for president, so I am happy in that regard. But I wonder how much this really helps Obama's candidacy. Biden is from the northeast and that area is pretty heavily doe the dems to begin with. I don't know how politically expedient this move is because I don't think Biden is going to bring a lot of voters over to Obama. With the Hillary supporters already threatening to stay home, I don't think this helps. I don't think Hillary should have been the pick, but I think she should have been given a little more public respect from the Obama camp. I do hope that Obama publicly announces a major role for her in his proposed administration. That may lead to some healing.

The old plagiarism charge against Biden is being brought up already. I am not sure how much damage it will cause since Biden acknowledged this long ago. But it is ammunition for the republicans and I fully expect them to use that and more. Biden's controversial quote about about Obama being the first "clean and articulate" african-american candidate is already being trotted out as well. What's so funny about that is that Obama obviously had no problem with what Biden was saying then, as he picked him as his running partner. But trust me, you are gonna be hearing a lot of white people telling black people how outraged they should be by what Biden said a while back. Classic stuff.

I am seeing a lot about Obama being ridiculed as the "Chosen One" by other camps. I don't get that charge at all because it was simply created by republican talking heads. It came about by what has been perceived as heavily slanted media bias towards Obama's candidacy. Whether or not such bias exists is irrelevant because Obama has had nothing to do with it. Obama has certainly not proclaimed himself as the "Chosen One" so why that is used against him personally, I don't understand. It is really a slam against the media but it has been twisted by others to actually be against Obama himself. Weird; you'd think if you really wanted to ridicule the guy that you would know the meaning of what you are saying.

For a, *ahem*, completely different take on Obama's candidacy, please check out my buddy Dave's blog by clicking right here. We may not agree on very much politically, but Dave is still my amigo. Rock on, Dave!

3 comments:

Dave said...

Thanks for the shout out. I like to think that I pick on Republicans and Democrats equally (because I detest both of them equally as well as the political machine that runs this country). Just wait till Old Man River picks his running mate, especially if it's Romney. I like to make posts in jest, but in all seriousness, I do agree with you. I think this does little for Obama except push Hillary's supporters further away. I think that had Obama taken Hillary as VP, it probably would have done more to unite the party, but remember this is the party that has screaming Howard Dean as one of it's leaders. YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

George Theofanopoulos said...

Personally, Obama should have taken Clinton as VP like Dave said because I think it would have been one combo that couldn't be beat. After watching the Dem National Conv., Hillary is doing everything she can at this point to help back Obama and I think it will work.

Jim Schmaltz said...

If all Obama was interested in was winning, he would have picked Hillary. So I think that points to the fact that he is not trying to win at all costs. He picked Biden because he has experience and is an excellent politician.

If we found out that McCain has picked Mitt Romney, then we will know that all he cares about is winning.