Thursday, December 4, 2008

Finished Far Cry 2

Ubisoft has a real winner on their hands with FC2. I got a ton of game play out of it, probably over 70 hours worth. That is a tremendous value. If I had to score the game, I'd probably do it like this:
Graphics: 9
Sound: 9
Story: 8.5
Gameplay: 9
Overall: 9

As I mentioned earlier it is definitely in my GOTY running. It's one of those rare games where the sum is greater than the parts. By that I mean there are a couple of things that little things that stick in your craw, but the game plays so well: the weapons are spot-on and even the vehicles are fun to drive. As a total package it is really hard to beat this game.

Next up will probably be Fallout 3, which may even take longer to beat than FC2. I do have Left 4 Dead sitting here unopened still. I'd love to be able to get some co-op going with Dave (he broke down and got the game), but our schedules rarely work out. Still, if we can get that going, I'll definitely interrupt my time with Fallout 3.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed it!

George Theofanopoulos said...

From my post on OS:

I played for about 3 hours tonight and I am not feeling the game either. From a technical standpoint, I think what Ubisoft has done here is utterly amazing. Graphically this game is very nice. Driving mechanics are great too. I really hate the respawning of enemies. It drives me nuts after having cleared an area only to drive past it and these guys are coming after me in full force. This does feel a lot like a FPS Mercenaries game. Which is not bad at all, just wish I could get into it more.

Jim Schmaltz said...

I would say that you need to get into the game a little bit farther, but maybe it's just not your cup of tea. Once you do the missions for the gun dealers and get the better weapons, it really takes off, IMO. Sniper rifles and rocket launchers just kick ass and when you get the dart rifle, which is essentially a silent sniper rifle, things get really fun.

But as I said, maybe it's just not for you. I am into Fallout 3 now and it is amazing.