Saturday, June 21, 2008

NCAA Football 09 demo impressions

Electronic Arts has released the demo for my annually most-anticipated game of the year. The NCAA series was terrific in the days of the PS2 and the original XBox, but the next-gen versions have been disappointing. So how does the newest version look so far? Improved. And fun.

There has been a lot of buzz going around the 'net by people who have played an early version of the game. Most of it has been positive, but there have been a couple of things that have set off warning sirens. First of all, it was said to be almost impossible to put pressure on the QB without blitzing. While it is difficult, it can be done. The demo is only 8 minutes long, and in one of those sessions I sacked the QB with my defensive linemen 3 times. Not bad. In other games it was a bit more difficult, but not impossible, so that's a good sign.

The 2nd complaint was that the CPU never throws the ball deep. I have played about 6 games total and the CPU has gone deep on me twice. While that doesn't seem like a lot, it must be remembered that the game is only 8 minutes long (2 minute quarters). So I just don't think you can make a judgement based on the short time the demo gives you each game. But I will definitely be looking for this in the retail version.

Turnovers were a big problem in last year's game; there were way too many interceptions, by both human and CPU, and there were too many fumbles by the human controlled players. This looks to be toned down. Of the 6 games I played, I saw 2 fumbles the whole time, and both were by the CPU controlled offense. I did have a game where I picked off the CPU twice and I threw one myself, but they seemed to be realistic plays, mostly because of dumb decisions by the QB. Again, I really can't tell if this will be a problem with the retail version, but so far it looks promising.

The one caveat for all of these impressions is this; the game is set on the 2nd easiest skill level (varsity). So it may be much tougher to rush the QB on higher levels and perhaps you'll see more human turnovers as well. Again, this can't be known until the full version arrives in stores.

Player control seems more responsive and that is most welcome. It makes playing the game simply more fun by allowing the user to pull off moves that may have been extra difficult on previous versions.

I have played both the PS3 and 360 versions of the demo. While they play the same, there is no doubt in my mind that the 360 version is the better looking version. It's not by a lot, but the players look more crisp and the colors are not as garish as they appear on the PS3. This creates a problem for me, because I have already ordered the PS3 version. I simply think the PS3 is a better, more reliable machine than the 360, plus I have joined an online league that is PS3 only. But I may have to reconsider and go with the 36o version just because it looks a bit better. I am not sure what I am gonna do, so right now I am just gonna sit tight.

I am waiting anxiously for July 15th when the retail version hits stores. I'll be first in line, as usual. I am hoping EA has come through for us this year and given us a truly next-gen version of NCAA Football. I'll be reporting back after the game arrives, if I can tear myself away from it long enough.

6 comments:

George Theofanopoulos said...

Jim, I played both today and I agree with you that the 360 version player models just look so much better which also helps with the animations.

Jim Schmaltz said...

So which version are you going with George?

Dave said...

ps3 for me. I havent missed my 360 at all

Jim Schmaltz said...

I hear ya Dave, but honestly the 360 version looks better than the PS3 version. And I have not had one problem with my 360 Elite yet, so I am really on the fence. I can't get rid of my 360; I have so many favorite old games on it (Bioshock in particular). The 360 has been an unreliable system, but when it works it's been terrific. But I know you have had much more trouble than I have had with your 360s.

George Theofanopoulos said...

Jim, I think I am going with the PS3 version like we talked about over PM. But you never know, reviews could change things.

Jim Schmaltz said...

I am hoping some folks get it early and comment on how well the PS3 version plays. Keeping my fingers crossed!