Friday, June 27, 2008

Old music, old memories

While updating my iPod, I have been reacquainting myself with some music from my past. One of the real pleasures has been listening to the first 2 albums by Heart, Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen. I had forgotten just how wonderful these albums are. Great, inventive stuff and Ann Wilson's vocals are terrific; what a powerful voice. I am not sure what happened to Heart, why they decided to change their sound to glossy corporate rock in the 80's, but what a shame. Yeah, that was when they had their biggest radio hits, but the music was just generic pap, IMO. Anyway, we still have the excellent early stuff (including "Straight On" from the Dog & Butterfly album, one of my favorite Heart tunes) and the memories of those more innocent times (the 70's!) to go along with them.

4 comments:

George Theofanopoulos said...

I know what you mean Jim, I have been updating my Ipod this last week with some older tunes that I haven't listened to in awhile. We tend to forget how great some music is.

Jim Schmaltz said...

It's awesome uncovering some of the old stuff, isn't it? I have had a blast with my iPod.

George Theofanopoulos said...

The iPod has changed so much for the way we listen to music. I have ripped all my albums to a 500gb HDD. For storage purposes, I have thought a few times of just selling off my CD's and buying one more external HDD for backup purposes.

Anonymous said...

I love my 80s music, but Heart was never better than in the late 70s. They are still one of my favorites and I also have them on my MP3.
I think Dog and Butterfly is a beautiful song.

Mike and I watched a recent acoustic concert of them, and Anne still sounded incredible.

Your sis