Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Beatles: Rock Band - drums

Ringo Starr is unfairly judged as an untalented guy who was lucky to be along for the ride with the other 3 Beatles. The truth is that Ringo was an essential part of the band, not only for his consistently solid drum work, but for what his personality brought to the band. After seeing the hit-and-miss solo work of the 4 individual members of the Beatles after the break-up, it is very clear that the 4 of them together inspired something truly magical. Indeed, I believe that it was almost some sort of miracle that the 4 were brought together, created musical magic and then broke up right at the end of the turbulent 60's. It is simply too big a coincidence for me that the end of The Beatles came right at the end of the 60's. The Beatles were messengers for their time and when that time was over, they went their separate ways.

But enough of my philosophizing. Back to the music, which is what really matters. Ringo Starr, along with Paul McCartney, created one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock history. Here are some of the songs I look forward to playing in TB:RB. Please note again that I am not suggesting that all of these songs will be available. Just that I would love them to be!
  1. The End - well, it contains Ringo's only solo, so it's a given.
  2. Birthday - a rocking track with a great beat.
  3. Get Back - Ringo's driving drums propel the song forward.
  4. I Call Your Name - come on; who doesn't want more cowbell?
  5. She Loves You - from the opening roll through the crashing cymbals, this oldie gets some love.
  6. Ticket To Ride - tremendous song with an upfront drum part for Ringo.
  7. She Said She Said - some nice fills for Ringo in this one
  8. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band (Reprise) - a nice little rocker; short but sweet
  9. Yer Blues - something a little different and a little wild from the boys
  10. Helter Skelter - "I got blisters on my fingers!"
I gotta say that's a pretty good set right there. I have my copy of the game pre-ordered and now all I have to do is wait. September 9th still seems like a long time away, but I have plenty to keep me busy in the interim. I'll probably be posting more Beatles: Rock Band related stuff as it pops in my head. One thing I will be doing is posting the order I would like the albums to be available for download. We already know that Abbey Road is up for #1 and that is a perfect pick in my mind. I'll get a complete list up later.

No comments: