Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Beatles: Rock Band - Vocals

I have been a Beatles fanatic for over 30 years, so their lyrics are simply implanted in my brain along with important dates, phone numbers and the eating and breathing reflexes. They are just a natural extension of my thinking. So singing songs in TB:RB is something I am really looking forward to, even if my voice is not what it used to be, and what it used to be was mediocre. After all, in my own opinion Paul McCartney was the greatest rock vocalist of all time during the Beatles era, and John Lennon was in the top 5. And George Harrison was not exactly a slouch. And Ringo...well, Ringo wasn't much to write home about but he was perfect for the songs that he sang.

There are so many songs from the Beatles' catalog that I absolutely adore that it would be hard to name just 10 or so. So I am going to split this up a bit. And I am talking lead vocals here; I will address background vocals in a separate entry. And again, I am not at all thinking that all of the songs I mention will be available in the game. I suspect the large majority will not be. But a fellow can dream, can't he?

Top Beatles hits I want to sing in TB:RB:
  1. Eight Days A Week - exuberant, shiny, happy!
  2. Yesterday - McCartney doing mellow like no one else
  3. In My Life - a tremendously touching song with great Lennon vocals
  4. Something - Harrison's most gorgeous tune and one of the all time great love songs
  5. Lady Madonna - great, rowdy McCartney vocal
  6. Back In The U.S.S.R. - one of the only songs I will sing at karaoke; love it!
  7. A Day In The Life - Lennon's aching vocals still sting me every time I hear this song
  8. Hey Jude - shows off McCartney's extraordinary range
  9. Don't Let Me Down - Lennon pleading with Yoko in song form
  10. Let It Be -absolutely lovely; the song I want played at my funeral
Here are some songs that I cannot wait to sing but I have no business even trying:
  1. Why Don't We Do It In The Road? - unless the White album is released in full, this will probably never see the light of day anyway, but it has great, raucous vocals by Macca
  2. Helter Skelter - I will be singing this alone to avoid great embarrassment
  3. I've Got A Feeling - more McCartney power vocals, more voice breaking on my part
  4. Twist And Shout - Lennon shredded his vocals singing this; what chance do I stand?
  5. Here, There And Everywhere - like I stand a chance of hitting those high notes
  6. You're Gonna Lose That Girl - this time it's Lennon hitting the high notes
  7. Oh! Darling - see I've Got A Feeling above
  8. Dizzy Miss Lizzy - more voice shredding by Lennon
  9. Because - just no way in hell
  10. I'm Down - more maniacal McCartney
(I should add Let It Be to this list; I cannot hit the high notes during the chorus to save my life.)

Here are some lesser-known songs that I would love to be able to sing in RB:TB:
  1. When I Get Home
  2. All I've Got To Do
  3. Hold Me Tight
  4. I Call Your Name
  5. You Can't Do That
  6. I'll Be Back
  7. What You're Doing
  8. The Night Before
  9. I Need You
  10. It's Only Love
  11. Yes It Is
  12. You Won't See Me
  13. I'm Looking Through You
  14. If I Needed Someone
  15. Getting Better
  16. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
  17. Martha My Dear
  18. I Will
  19. Mother Nature's Son
  20. Hey Bulldog
  21. Two Of Us
  22. Abbey Road side 2 medley, from You Never Give Me Your Money through The End
As you can see, that is quite a list. Basically I'd like to see every Beatles song released for Rock Band, as some of my favorites are the more obscure tracks. Of course isn't going to happen, so I'll have to make do with whatever they decide to release. Rest assured, I'll be ponying up for whatever they put out. With three months to go, the anticipation is really building for me.

No comments: