Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Beatles: Rock Band - Guitar songs


As a Beatles' fanatic, I am obviously stoked about the upcoming Beatles: Rock Band game coming out. Although I'd love to play with a replica of Paul McCartney's iconic Hofner violin bass guitar and Ringo's drums, I don't have the requisite $250 of disposable income laying around for when the game is released on September 9th. But I do have the guitar and drums from the original Rock Band, so I'll still be ready to rock and roll when the game is released. Gamestop is having a pre-order special where you will get 3 extra songs so I will definitely be going that route.

What I thought I would do is list the songs I would most like to play for each instrument. No comprehensive list of the 45 songs that are going to be released with the game has been made available, so some of my selections probably will never see the light of day. But I still thought this would be fun to do: today I will do guitar songs. Later I will cover Macca's amazing bass-playing, Ringo's steady drumming, lead vocals from Paul, John & George and finally the background vocals that would be the most fun. So without further ado, and in no particular order, here are my top 10 (or so) songs that I want to play guitar on in The Beatles: Rock Band:

  1. Helter Skelter - a balls-to-the-wall rocker, no further explanation needed
  2. Get Back - love the solos and the driving rhythm guitar
  3. While My Guitar Gently Weeps - Eric Clapton and Harrison shredding their guitars
  4. The End - McCartney, Harrison and Lennon trading short guitar solos/bursts
  5. Can't Buy Me Love - great, tight little rocker with a punchy solo
  6. Day Tripper - one of the better known guitar riffs of all time and a personal favorite
  7. I've Got A Feeling - an underrated Beatles' song with a terrific riff by Lennon
  8. She Said, She Said - great guitar work hereby Lennon and Harrison
  9. Blackbird - an acoustic beauty with effortless playing by McCartney
  10. Back In The U.S.S.R. - great rocker ala Can't Buy Me Love with a nice solo by McCartney
  11. I Feel Fine - Lennon claimed that this song contains the 1st intentional use of feedback; it also contains a killer hook
  12. Birthday - a great, simple rocker
I knew I couldn't limit it to 10, and I know I am missing some really killer songs; these are just the ones that popped into my head at the moment. Of those 10 songs, 3 of them (Get Back, Day Tripper and Back In The U.S.S.R.) are known to be in the game. In addition to the 45 songs being released with the game, the full Abbey Road album will be available for download, so that means The End will be available as well. We're off to a good start.

No comments: