Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gran Torino - quick hit review

I finally got around to seeing this movie as my wife and I watched it tonight. I enjoyed it; while it's nothing spectacular, overall it is just a good, solid movie, a quiet drama. A nice performance by Clint Eastwood is the center of the film. He does seem to be playing the role he usually plays, just at an advanced age, but he pulls it off with gruff charm and humor. I really liked the way the relationship played out between him and the 2 kids that live next door. They were excellent as well. My wife enjoyed the movie quite a bit too. If I was grading it, I'd give it a nice, solid B.

Up next is Valkryie. I love WWII history/historical fiction so I am looking forward to it, though Tom Cruise can be really hard for me to take at times. Still, the rest of the cast is stellar (it doesn't get much better than Tom Wilkinson, IMO), so it should be well acted and the story line is intriguing. We hope to watch it early this week.

No comments: