Friday, January 29, 2010

When gaming goes wrong

As I noted earlier, I have been dying to play Mass Effect 2, but wanted to finish Darksiders first.  I had already put close to 15 hours into Darksiders, I had enjoyed it, and I wanted to see it through.  Last night I had some time set aside so I figured I would finally finish the game.  Uh, not so fast.

Imagine my disappointment when I realized that a lot of the progress I had made in the game was no longer recognized.  To make a long story short, you have to redirect a bunch of light beams into different rooms.  It is a long, drawn out affair and I had accomplished most of it.  Then I had saved the game and quit.  When I resumed the game, the lights were no longer lit and I could not backtrack to turn them on again.  For some reason (perhaps the new patch that I downloaded just prior to playing last night), all of that progress was gone.  And the only way to get back to that point again was to load a prior saved game, which would erase nearly 5 hours of time I had put into the game.

I spent 2 hours trying to figure out a better way to do this, but to no avail.  Finally, disgusted with the situation and the waste of my time, I pulled the game out of the 360 and started Mass Effect 2.  I just didn't have the time or patience to go back through so much of what I had just done so recently.  I hope some day I will will myself to finish Darksiders, but right now I just don't know.

And for the record, Mass Effect 2 kicks major ass.

2 comments:

Pete Anderson said...

Okay, that really blows. Five hours of gameplay? I can't imagine having the patience to ever go back. In fact, one of the only gripes I have about Borderlands (the driving mechanic being the other) is that you're not returned to the same point on the map following a save. Accomplishments are retained, but it's a little tedious to have to re-trace your steps and fight the same battles along the way. Maybe I've been spoiled by Fallout 3 which resumes EXACTLY where you left off.

Anyway, I'll be really anxious to hear your impressions of Mass Effect 2.

Dave said...

I played the first mission or so and got really bored with it.