Wednesday, March 17, 2010

God Of War III has arrived

I only got to play around with it for 20 minutes or so, but my goodness, what a grand opening!  I had heard that the scale of the game has been increased considerably, that some of the settings and foes were almost too huge to describe, and that is obvious even in the short amount of time I have played.  The gameplay seems largely unchanged from the first 2 games (that's a good thing) and the control is once again spot-on.  I won't be able to really get my hands grubby with this game until next week, but I am really looking forward to it.

I also ordered the strategy guide and it is awesome as well.  If you have seen the guides for either of the 1st two games, you know what to expect: not only a complete walkthrough and locations for all the treasures, but also background on all of the Greek mythology that is in the game.  It's really like a very palatable history lesson and its worth shelling out the bucks just for that alone.

They say that this is the last game in the series but I am finding that really hard to believe.  These games are massive sellers and are universally acclaimed.  Walking away from this series would be a very bold thing indeed and I am not sure Sony wants to see such an obvious cash cow just disappear.  We'll see.

3 comments:

Pete Anderson said...

I'd be interested to know whether the first two games are absolute prerequisites to the third, or if they could be played after the fact.

Jim Schmaltz said...

Definitely not prerequisites Pete. It would help you understand the story better but ultimately the game is about action. But you can get the collection with games 1 & 2 very cheap right now and it is definitely worth it. You should play them too, but just having them in your collection would be worth the money, IMO.

Dave said...

Pete, the first two games are epic but not prereqs. As Jim said, either rent or buy them as they're an excellent collection and an excellent price on both of them together. I loved the first one (have played it thru 3 times now) and 2x for the second one. As I've said all along, best series in gaming as far as I'm concerned and the series has perhaps the best storyline as well. I've always had an interest in greek mythology and God of War really pieces together quite a bit of it. I just tore into the 3rd one and it's epic in every single way and I'd be hard pressed to find a better looking game.