Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Quick gaming thoughts

I am about 3 hours into God Of War III and - no surprise here - it's awesome.  The graphics are phenomenal, the cut scenes tremendous, the voice acting superb and of course the gameplay is 2nd to none.  Dave from Were Not Here claims that this is the best video game series of all time and if it's not, it's gotta be in the running.  Simply stellar.

I also will be getting Just Cause 2 today.  I pre-ordered it yesterday, trading in Dragon Age: Origins.  I could just never get into that game and I tried with 2 different characters.  I wish I hadn't waited so long, I could have gotten more credit for it.  Anyway, Just Cause 2 looks fun; it's a huge sandbox type of game where stuff blows up real good.  :-)   I won't be playing it until GOW3 is finished but I will give impressions when I do.

2 comments:

Dave said...

How far are you into it Jim? I just beat Hades, and I've got to say it was one of the best boss fights ever. It seems to me that they've taken every gripe or complaint with the first two and fixed them. I'm gonna post some more impressions later today. Needless to say, thus far, this is the game of the series.

Jim Schmaltz said...

Dave,
I am a heck of a lot farther than that thanks to a marathon session last night. At first I was skeptical because the first 2 games were so terrific but now I can say without a doubt that this is the best in the series. The Hades showdown was indeed awesome but let me tweak your interest a bit by saying, "Hang on, you ain't seen nothing yet!" Half the fun is meeting such iconic characters themselves, seeing how they are represented in the game. I don't want to spoil any surprises for you - that would be an unpardonable sin - but I will say that it was great fun meeting up with Cronos again.

Best PS3 game ever? It's right up there with the Uncharted series for me. It's hard to compare the 2 because part of what makes Uncharted so appealing is the characters, especially playing such a likable guy as Nathan Drake. Meanwhile, Kratos is, let's face it, a pretty evil antihero. This is the one game where I allow myself to play the bad guy (it's not like I have any choice!) and it is indeed a blast but it's just different to me. Anyway, this game is one for the ages. The frustrating spots are few and far between and the gameplay just flat out rocks. This one's a keeper, just as the Collection with the 1st 2 games is. These will always remain in my game library.