Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Big Headache

After Charter Cable pissed me off, mistakenly turning off my digital cable because of a typo, I decided to go with Dish Network. It offered a lot more (including the NFL Network) for a bit less money, and after Charter screwed the pooch, I had incentive enough to switch. That all went pretty well, although Barb has spent a lot of time on the phone with them, trying to get the bill straight.

After dropping Charter's TV service, the price for their internet service increased, as it was no longer part of a bundle. So I called around and found DSL (with similar speed to Charter) at an unbelievable $25 a month cheaper than what Charter was now charging me. So far so good. But getting the DSL up and running was no easy feat, especially when coupled with my wireless router. To make matters worse, none of my e-mails to my old address are being forwarded the way AT&T claimed. So if I need to check my old e-mail account I have to disconnect the DSL modem, shut down the computer, hook up the cable modem and start the computer up again. Major pain in the ass. And trying to contact all of the different web sites I use and changing my e-mail address has been no picnic either. It's been a long, tedious process and I am not even close to finished yet. In the long run I'll be happy I am saving almost $300 a year by switching over to DSL, but right now I am not having a good time making it happen. Once things get back to normal I will start blogging more here and at GTSM. In the meantime there is some great stuff over there, so by all means head over to GTSM and check it all out. Seriously, go ahead. In the meantime I'll be here, pulling more hair out.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Dude I went thru this two weeks ago. Needless to say, I feel your pain my friend.