Saturday, February 14, 2009

The gaming jones

I am getting the bug again. Must...get...new...game! Every once in a while a game comes out of seemingly nowhere to pique my interest. That was certainly the case with Far Cry 2 last year and now the same thing is happening with Street Fighter 4. I am not a huge fan of fighting games; I like them okay but don't get into them very much. But SF4 has me seriously intrigued. First of all, the reviews are stellar. Everyone is raving about the way it looks, plays and feels. Anytime a game gets almost unanimous raves I start getting the jones. Second, in the IGN review, they talk about how accessible the game is, whether you are a Street Fighter veteran or just starting out. They say beginners should be able to pick up a controller and have tons of fun right off the bat. Speaking of the controller, there is a new game pad put out my Mad Catz which is supposed to be absolutely superb for SF4 (and all other fighting games). It costs $40, so it is a little pricey, but luckily I have a large gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

MLB '09: The Show comes out in early March, but as of right now there are no other games on the horizon that I am looking forward to. So just maybe I'll spring for SF4 and that new game pad. Now I just have to decide which console, Xbox 360 or PS3, to get it on. The 360 version supports 1080p while the PS3 does not. On the other hand, if I skip the new game pad, the PS3 controller is said to be a lot better than the 360 controller for this game. Decisions, decisions.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Yeah from listening to various podcasts, all the experts say to go with the PS3 version due to the controller unless you're going to spring for the XBOX controller. I thought about buying it as well, but I'm horrific at fighters so I passed on it.