Tuesday, February 24, 2009

More computer problems

Well, my chipset fan has become a real problem. I can't leave my PC on unattended. So I took it in today to get it repaired. They told me that 1st they have to diagnose the problem (what the hell does that mean? I know the damned problem, the chipset fan needs to be replaced!) and that it may be done by the weekend. Bravo.

I would have done it myself but it is hard to get to and I am not sure how to actually get it out. I am sure I could have managed, but I thought I'd let someone who knows what they're doing work on it. I just had no idea it was gonna be such a project. I called this morning and explained the problem and I asked them if the fan was something they would need to order. If so, I wouldn't take the PC in until they had the fan on hand. They assured me they had a fan that would work. Then when I got there of course, they said they may need to order the fan. Ugh.

This is really a simple problem and if I don't get my PC back by the weekend I am going to be super pissed. When I asked if they thought it would be ready by the weekend, they said "hopefully." No shit.

They work on a first-come-first-serve basis. Apparently I am set for a "diagnostic exam" tomorrow. When I told them there was no need, that I knew exactly what the problem was, they said they need to run it through some tests to make sure no damage was done. Argh! Just replace the chipset fan, take my money and let me be on my way!

Why does something so easy have to be so damned complicated?

1 comment:

Dave said...

Been there done that. I had to replace a whole motherboard a few months ago on an old desktop.