Sunday, February 8, 2009

Some sports gaming stuff

I am loving the hell out of FIFA Soccer '09 right now. When I played it right after it's release, I was underwhelmed. But I recently started playing the Be A Pro mode where you play as one person the entire match. Very addictive, and I don't have to deal with the frustration I have playing defense; my main complaint about the regular game mode is that your computer teammates are brain dead when it comes to playing defense. You have to constantly switch players and do everything yourself; your teammates don't even go after the ball. FIFA has been like this for ages. But with Be A Pro mode, I can concentrate on playing as a striker and worry only about attacking.

FIFA is such a well done game. I am a sucker for a sports game that offers up lots of teams to play with and FIFA has over 200 teams to choose from. Different leagues throughout the world are represented so you can play in the Barclay's Premier League if you'd like or you can go somewhere where the talent isn't so good, say the Australian or Korean leagues. It's a lot of fun and I am really glad I gave this game another spin after ignoring it for along while. My only other complaint is that when you create a player, you can only make him average at best. There is a limited amount of skill points you can give him, so you can't create stud players. I am a firm believer that games should give you any and all options available. You pay a lot of money for these game and the user should be able to have all the flexibility he/she wants.

I also downloaded the demo for Sony's MLB: The Show 'o9. Brilliant stuff. It is a lot like last year's version, which is a good thing. It looks like they added some new features and cleaned things up a bit. It is a beautiful game, just stunning as far as the stadiums and players go. This is a day one purchase for me. As Dave Roland mentioned, he and I are gonna have to get some more baseball games in this year. I still owe him for a beatdown he gave me last year.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I think your memory is a bit foggy. It was you who gave the beatdown (in both Hot Shots and MLB). I think I beat you once in MLB. Are you playing FIFA on the PS3 or 360? I'd love to get some games in. How is it for PSP by the way?

Jim Schmaltz said...

I distinctly remember you beating my Cards with your Cubs. Anyway, playing FIFA on the 360. Would love to get some games in as well, though I am not real good at the regular mode. FIFA on PSP is good, not great. Glad I purchased it though; I spend a lot of time in manager mode, fixing up my team and just simming the games. I am looking into Football Manager '09 for the PSP as well. Awfully expensive and you have to import it, though. And I am sure like most PSP games the load times will be horrendous.

Anyway, let's FIFA soon!

Dave said...

Yes let's get some games in for FIFA.