Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bioshock 2 impressions

I have put 6-7 hours into Bioshock 2 and have played enough to have a definite take on the the game thus far.  My initial, first impression is that it was overly familiar.  It didn't seem different enough from the original Bioshock.  It seemed more like Bioshock 1.5.   Now in my opinion, the original Bioshock is one of the all time great games, so that's not exactly a rip-job when I say it is familiar to the first game.  But part of the charm of the first game was the wonder and awe of seeing Rapture for the 1st time.  It was a mind-blowing experience to see the undersea world, along with the 50's era decor and the terrific soundtrack.  The atmosphere in the game was something that was staggering and also staggeringly new.  Bioshock 2 has the same terrific atmosphere, but alas, it is no longer new.  Rapture is still a glory to behold; the new areas are spectacular and you even get to go outside for some oceanic exploration.  But the initial jolt you felt from the first game, that freshness, is gone no matter how brilliantly this game recreates Rapture.

I was really disappointed to hear that you played as a "Big Daddy" in the sequel, but I am happy to announce that the control is almost the exact same as in the 1st game.  You don't feel like a huge lumbering giant as you make your way through the game, you basically have the same movement as in the original Bioshock.  Except now you have a huge drill on the end of your right hand.  And it's nasty on the enemies.

Speaking of the enemies, the splicers are back in full force.  They are a little tougher and smarter this time around and there are a few new variations.  But the real bad-asses are the Big Sisters, who stalks you when you save little sisters.  The Big Sisters are very formidable.  They are as tough (or tougher) than a Big Daddy but are also lightning fast.  And once one sets upon you, it will not stop until one of you is dead.  I have yet to decide if these parts of the game are thrilling or a pain in the ass.  Maybe a bit of both.

You still get to use Plasmids and upgrade weapons as in the first game.  The weapons have some new additions, such as a rivet gun and a spear gun.  There are new Plasmids to choose from as well and deciding which ones to use and which ones to ignore is one of the more intriguing aspects of the game.  Decision making becomes very important as you make your way through the game and the enemies get harder and harder.

The story is (so far) intriguing and well-told.  Once again you discover recordings throughout the game which fill you in on the details of what has happened in Rapture.  I am eager to see what the future has in store for me and the little sisters.

Bioshock 2 is extremely well made.  What it suffers for in lack of originality it works very hard to make up for in production values.  They are first-rate all the way.  I'll have final thoughts on Bioshock 2 as well as a tentative grade for it when I complete the game.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Couldn't agree more. I think if the first one were a little less "great" I wouldn't mind the second one so much. I'm not all that thrilled with the story but I guess I'm not as far in as you are. I find myself being a little let down in a level when I've saved all the little sisters.

Jim Schmaltz said...

I finished it up and will have some final thoughts (and a score) but my original impressions stand.