Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Bowl thoughts

Very happy to be wrong in my prediction.  When the Colts took a 10-0 lead I was afraid the Saints, in their 1st Super Bowl, might wilt under the pressure.  Instead, they took a cue from their head coach Sean Payton and raised the intensity.  Payton called a very aggressive game plan, including a terrific onside kick call to open the 2nd half and the Saints seemed to gain confidence.  They outscored the Colts 31-7 after falling behind by 10 to win their first Super Bowl championship.

Drew Brees was sensational in winning the MVP honors.  On the other hand, I can't imagine how devastated Peyton Manning is after throwing a game breaking interception with just over 2 minutes to play.  He is one of the most intense competitors around and I am sure he is just sick.  I definitely sensed an enormous amount of confidence in the Colts heading into the game but perhaps they were overconfident.

I am very happy for the city of New Orleans and for long suffering Saints fans.  I became a low-key fan of the Saints myself when Jim Mora became their coach back in the mid 80's.  They played a conservative game of football on offense but their defense was tremendous with a terrific set of undersized linebackers.  Even after Mora left I have always had a soft spot for the perennial doormats of the league.  Now they are on top and I can't imagine the party they are having in New Orleans right now.  Congrats, New Orleans!

Edit - It also bears mentioning that in the post season, the Saints had to beat 3 quarterbacks - Kurt Warner, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning - who will all end up in the Hall Of Fame.  That's a heck of an accomplishment.  No easy games there.

1 comment:

Pete Anderson said...

Who dat? The New Orleans freakin' Saints, dat's who!

Like you, I've always had a soft spot for the Saints. I'm so happy for them and the city of New Orleans to taste Super Bowl champagne for the first time.