Monday, February 1, 2010

Gaming Update

Back in December, I posted that I was going to make a determined effort to finally get a handle on first person shooters and third person action games, so I thought I’d provide a little update on how that’s been working out for me. I’m pleased to report that I’ve played virtually nothing else for the last 6 weeks or so. The bulk of my time has been spent with Fallout 3 and Borderlands, and the occasional level of inFamous, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Bioshock, Assassin’s Creed, Left 4 Dead 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Batman Arkham Asylum for variety.

I started out with inFamous and should have gone ahead and completed it but, alas, I made the mistake of cracking the seal on Fallout 3. That game consumed me for about three weeks (40+ hours) before I found myself ready for a little respite, and Borderlands has occupied my time ever since. I’m about halfway through Borderlands now, and starting to get the itch to return to Fallout 3. I doubt I’ll be able to resist taking a peek at Mass Effect 2 when it arrives in the next day or two, so I may just resign myself to rotating through a few games for the next while. It may be a less than ideal approach, but I’m having blast and, in the end, that’s what it’s all about.


Indecision and incomplete games aside, the time I’ve invested in these titles has paid off in a big way. I’ve become comfortable with the control and gameplay mechanics typical of the genres to the point where it’s become second nature. It has opened up a whole new world of gaming, and I’m now enjoying the heck out of games that previously seemed inaccessible. It leaves me wondering what took me so long!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Call of Duty RULES.

Pete Anderson said...

I'm anxious to get back to it, trust me. That's why I was quizzing you about online multiplayer the other day.

Jim Schmaltz said...

I don't know who made that comment, buddy, but it wasn't me.

REALLY glad to see you expand your horizons! There is so much great stuff being made now. Bioshock 2 arrives Tuesday and the early word is that it is fantastic. But I am gonna finish up (and savor) Mass Effect 2 before I start Bioshock 2. I'll have a Mass Effect 2 write up soon. Just been busier than snot!

Pete Anderson said...

The comment was from a buddy at work. He's a big fan of COD (and L4D2) online.

Mass Effect 2 arrived the other day, but I haven't had time to check it out yet. Hoping to have a look later today.

P.S. Keep your fingers crossed for the Sens as they shoot for #12 against the stinkin' Leafs tonight. With Nick Foligno already on the shelf, Erik Karlsson went down last game and will be gone until after the Olympics. :>(