Wednesday, February 24, 2010

God Of War Collection = masterpiece

The original God Of War games (GOW and GOW2) were available exclusively on the Playstation 2.  They were quickly hailed as some of the finest action games ever created on any console.  I finished the original GOW and made it about halfway through GOW2 (loving every minute of it) when some other big releases came out and got me sidetracked. Sadly I never returned to it.  But with Sony releasing both games as the God Of War Collection on the PS3, I have the chance to play both games again and to complete GOW2, this time in HD.  The game still has a bit of that old PS2 look; the graphics have simply been updated a bit to HD but they are certainly not an eyesore in the least.  The only time the graphics really look sub-par is during the cut scenes.  The audio is terrific and most importantly, the spot-on gameplay remains.

I am about a quarter way through GOW2 and it is every bit as wonderful as I remembered.  The scope of the game is amazing.  Some of the sets are bigger and better than anything Hollywood has dreamed up.  The story is epic, with Greek mythology coursing through it's veins.  I have the strategy guide and it's terrific as well.  Not only does it tell you all the little secrets of the game, it gives you full details on all of the Gods and creatures you encounter throughout.  It is really well made and adds a lot to the game.

If you have never experienced the God Of War games, I urge you to do so.  The GOW collection is a great value, 2 excellent complete games, and long ones at that, at one reduced price.  And with God Of War III on the way in March, you may want to find out what the fuss is all about before that game owns your soul.

(Please be advised that these games are purely intended for mature audiences.)

3 comments:

Pete Anderson said...

I just about picked this up back around Christmas. Way too much on my gaming agenda to consider it now, hopefully someday... I think my brother Jim is playing through it at the moment.

Chris Bryant said...

Jim,
I picked this up at Wal-mart yesterday, all because of your review and past comments about it. I never played either GOW, so now I can play both in HD! Now to find time....
Chris

Jim Schmaltz said...

Hi Chris, GREAT to hear from you! Both games are excellent. Hope you enjoy them both. Let me know what you think after you play them for a while.

More important, I hope all is well with you and Carmen. Please tell her Barb and I said hi. Let us know the next time you will be in town!