Wednesday, March 4, 2009

More disappointments from The Show

After playing about 15 more RTTS game, my initial impressions still hold absolutely true. I have only seen 2 AA pitchers that have just 3 pitches in their arsenal. The rest have at least 4 or 5. It's really dumb and not life-like at all. Plus, as I said before, they throw the fastball 30-40% of the time which is way too rare. Even in obvious fastball counts (2-0 for example) they are still not throwing nearly enough fastballs.

Another thing. So far my RTTS CF has 38 hits. 37 of those are singles. That's right. I have 1 extra base hit and it was a double. Ridiculous.

Some of the goals you get during the game make no sense. For example, I have been asked to execute the hit-and-run about 7 times as a batter. Only on 2 of those occasions has the pitch thrown to me been even hittable. The rest are way off the plate and I cannot even make contact with them. Regardless, you lose 5 points for failing to execute the hit and run. In my first game tonight I was asked to H-n-R and I was hit by the pitch. I was penalized 5 points for not executing the H-n-R. I kid you not.

Other situations come up and there seems to be no logic. 4 or 5 times tonight I came up in a tied or one run game with a man on first and no one out. Every time the manager said swing away. No bunting is called for whatsoever.

Each time I have been told I have to complete certain goals to increase my skills in a category, they are the ones I would never spend points on. 2X in a row I have been asked to improve my bunting. As I just mentioned, I have never been called on to bunt. The last 2 sets of tasks I have been given have included batters vision and discipline . NEITHER of these things actually help you during the game as far as I can tell. So rather than spending your earned training points on something useful like contact or power ratings, you have to waste them on things that don't have an effect on actual gameplay and would not be selected by anyone except for the fact that you have to build up these categories up in order to earn a promotion. Ugh.

So far RTTS has been very disappointing to me. And that mode is the reason I get the game in the first place. I am not saying that my problems will be typical for anyone that gets the game. The lack of extra base hits, while alarming to the max, may simply be because my created player sucks (of course the game would not let me give him more than 25 for power when I created him, and as I said before, they want me to spend my training points elsewhere) or because I suck at actually playing the game. Very possible. Whatever the reasons, these are my results and I am not happy with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sorry it has been disappointing to you...maybe you should throw it out and spend more time with your wife....;)

Jim Schmaltz said...

She's too busy with school.

Anonymous said...

you are too, cute! Luckily, it is just a year...Love you! The wife