Monday, December 28, 2009

Inglorious Fallout

A couple of quick hits for ya...

We finally got around to seeing Inglorious Basterds yesterday. Tarantino fan that I am, I'd been looking forward to this one for a while. IB is less of a direct homage than some of his more recent efforts (though did anyone else notice a nod and wink to Mel Brooks?), and marks somewhat of a return to form for the once renegade director. The pacing is deliberate and the tone uneven, which is typical of QT at his best, and the kind of thing he can usually pull off in his sleep. But that's not quite the case here. Tarantino's trademark contrast of absurd humor against explosive outbursts of violence isn't nearly as deftly integrated as it was in Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, or even Kill Bill 2. The performances are uniformly excellent, the dialogue sharp (if not quite on par with QT's finest), and the direction impressive. Where IB missteps, IMO, is the story and editing. While it's hard to pick at any particular scenes (as they're all well executed), this film would have worked better and had even greater impact had it been more compact. And that comes back to story - entertaining though it is, it simply lacks the scope to justify a 2:30 running time. As a result it, at times, feels like a film that's strangely disconnected from itself. As IB unfolded, I couldn't help but think of how it may have turned out in the hands of the Coen Brothers (for starters imagine George Clooney in the Brad Pitt role, and a tad less graphic violence). Perhaps subsequent viewings will reveal greater cohesion and appreciation but, for now, Inglorious Basterds feels like a glorious mess.

On either side of viewing IB, I put some initial time into Fallout 3. I know this one's been around for a while, but it came highly recommended by Jim, and furthers my indoctrination into the world of gaming outside of sports and racing. From the moment I stepped outside Vault 101 (an entertaining level in its own right, and clever tutorial), it became obvious how massive in scope this game is. It's already almost overwhelming to think about how much time you'd have to invest in order to explore every corner of this world. I knew going in that Fallout 3 was an FPS with RPG elements but, so far, it feels like the other way around. I'm not complaining though. It's been a looong time since I played an RPG, and there's an exciting and addictive balance between thought and flat out action that's integrated here. And, like Infamous (which I'm currently enjoying), the moral decision making isn't obvious, and will no doubt affect the story as it progresses. Do you put your trust in Butch and help him, or beat him to death? Assassinate the Overseer, or take your chances? Help the young woman disarm the bomb that's strapped to her body, or run for safety? Heck, even a surreptitious pickpocket attempt (evidently failed) erupted into an unexpected gunfight with a Megatron dweller! How will the denizens view me now? It's all very engrossing. Speaking of which, I'm off to perfect my lockpicking skills. Anyone have any spare bobby pins?

2 comments:

Jim Schmaltz said...

Fallout 3 will own your soul if you let it. Give into it.

Barb and I rented Inglorious Basterds but have yet to watch it. I have the feeling I am gonna feel exactly as you did. I really didn't care for Death Proof. I thought it was QT showing off his dialogue chops and it got really old and pretentious for me. I am hoping to like IB better.

Pete Anderson said...

It may not quite be owning my soul (yet), but Fallout 3 has certainly been owning a fair chunk of my free time. The last few nights have been really late ones!

I liked Death Proof a lot for what it was - a kitschy send-up of a kitschy B-movie - but I think you'll like IB much better. A different kind of film altogether. It's a very entertaining ride that simply over-reaches itself, IMO. I'll be quite interested to hear your impressions. Be sure to post them!