Sunday, December 13, 2009

What a weekend!

A very eventful weekend at the Schmaltz household.  Friday morning Laurel had surgery to remove a large cyst from her upper eyelid.  She had the same surgery a couple of years ago to remove some cysts on each eyelid (upper and lower, left and right) and they found and removed a total of 13.  This time we were extremely fortunate; there was only the 1 to deal with.  We were told after the 1st surgery that they could return and while we were very dismayed that Laurel had to undergo surgery again (which meant undergoing anesthesia again as well), the fact that that there was only 1 seems like good news.  Laurel was very brave the entire time.  She was cheerful even, right up until it was time to take her back to surgery and she realized that Mom and Dad couldn't go with her.  And she came through with flying colors.  The eyelid looks good all things considered and she was a trooper.  Finding out that she had come out of the anesthesia okay is one of the biggest reliefs I have ever felt.

Saturday was The Big Day, a.k.a. Barb's graduation.  The ceremony started at 9:30 AM and it was very nice.  It was so cool to see Barb walk down the aisle to take her seat.  When she went up to get her diploma and her name was called, my heart swelled with pride and I let out a loud "Way to go Barb!" much to Laurel's (and Barb's) delight.  Barb's parents were there to see the ceremony as was her sister Kelly, who had flown in from California as a complete surprise to Barb.

After the ceremony we had a nice party at our house for Barb and her friend Theresa, who graduated as well.  Our friend Melissa was so sweet; she and her mom came over early and set up all of the food that Barb and her mom had prepared for the party.  I know, I know, Barb shouldn't have had to prepare her own party food.  I wanted to have it catered but Barb wouldn't hear of it.  She's funny that way.
But the party was nice and later on Barb and I got to enjoy some alone time as well.  All in all it was a splendid Saturday.

Sunday Jessica had a hockey game to cheer for, so Barb's dad, sister Kelly, Laurel and myself made a long trip to see her do just that.  Her team, the Junior Varsity Tigers, won 3-1 in what was actually a very exciting game.  Jessica cheered perfectly of course.  And after the game I kept shouting "Way to go Jessica!" at the top of my lungs, which had the intended effect of turning Jess beet red several times.  Mission accomplished!

So this weekend could not have worked out any better: Laurel is okay after surgery, Barb graduated and had her party and we got to watch Jessica cheer and I embarrassed the heck out of her.  Sometimes life is just grand.

3 comments:

Pete Anderson said...

Thumbs up all the way around!

Anonymous said...

It was a great weekend! Thanks to my hubby for his constant support and encouragement!

Jim always writes about how great I am (thanks to those rose colored glasses he tends to wear...) and the kids are- but never lets on to the size of his fan club! So I hope he approves this entry- if he doesn't I will type it on his computer and publish it myself ;)

This was a long year for our family! Yes, I went to class and studied for hours for incredibly hard tests... but that was not the end of it. Someone had to be there to comfort me and keep me from having a nervous breakdown over med math and electrolyte imbalances- this was Jim!

Someone had to pick up kids here and there and do this and that while I was in class- this was Jim!

Someone had to entertain the little ones and remind a certain 4/5 year old that Momma loves her even though she is rarely home- this was Jim!

Someone had to pretend that take out was great 4 to 5 nights a week- this was Jim!

Someone had to support our family literally (when I left my job at the start of second semester) and never hold it over my head once- this was Jim!

And for the other 10 million things he did to make this dream a reality for me- I can not be more grateful and appreciative!


Love, Laughter, and Friendship! Barb

Jim Schmaltz said...

Thanks Honey! ;-)