Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Beatles: Rock Band impressions

Got it today and (surprise surprise!) I love it. First, the guitar controller (Paul's Hofner bass) is very nice. It's a bit more solid than the normal gaming guitars and it's a beauty. The Start button has been a little touchy for me; it didn't want to work at first and I kind of have to manipulate it a bit to get it to work now. But I think it will be okay, so we'll see.

The drums looks solid. I like the heavy duty foot pedal. I have not played the drums yet though so I cannot comment on how they work.

For the first time in one of these music games, I was able to play and sing at the same time. I have always wanted to be Paul McCartney and now I can be! I aced Getting Better (though the guitar was set to Easy and it really was easy) with the vocals set to medium. I had the mic stand set up and I was just a rockin'. This was a fantastic thing, I gotta tell you.

I have started story mode and gotten out of the Cavern Club and onto the Ed Sullivan Show. I played the guitar solo on Can't Buy Me Love (I have always loved that) and smoked it. I have two more songs there and then I'll be moving on again.

I played a bit of quick play mode and I played Get Back (awesome guitar bits) and sang I've Got A Feeling. The only way I can hit the high notes is with a very silly sounding falsetto but it hits the notes perfectly. Still, I think I'll be singing songs like that in private.

I'll have more thoughts as I dig deeper into the game. I only wish my buddy Pete from up north was here. We'd be jamming big time!

2 comments:

gtrshow said...

Hmmm, wasn't aware that there's a story mode. Sounds cool!

And, yes, I wish I were there too...pounding the skins like a madman!

Jim Schmaltz said...

You might have to fight Barb for time on the drums - she did really well for a first-timer and she seemed to have a good time. We could make it work though, I assure you!