Tuesday, September 15, 2009

NHL 10 out today

It's getting wonderful reviews again this year. It's a must-buy for me at some point. I was going to go the 360 route, but if I can get my Canucklehead buddy Pete to promise me we will actually set up times to play online, I may go with the PS3 version; we love playing co-op.

Right now I still have The Beatles Rock Band and IL-2 Sturmovik to finish up (though Beatles Rock Band will never truly be finished; it will just go on and on and on...) so I am not in any huge hurry for NHL 10, depending on what Pete ends up doing.

UPDATE: It looks like playing co-op is not possible, so I will probably be going with the 360 version. Bummer, but with my crazy schedule I am not sure how often Pete and I could hook up anyway. Still, I wish we had the option to try!

5 comments:

gtrshow said...

Wait 'til next year, pal. We'll get some co-op goin'.

Played my first NHL10 game last night. Lots of fun, but I need to spend some time dialing it in. None of the stock camera angles quite do it for me. Hopefully they're customizable but, if not, no biggie. Also, lateral movement is way too exaggerated (par for the course for EA), and that makes things tough on defence. It's so easy to lose your man when a seemingly small move of the L stick will take your player from the sideboards to the front of the net. Maybe I just need to adjust, but I think there should be some limit on movement to keep things realistic.

Your Canuckistani Friend

Jim Schmaltz said...

Pete,
Are you using the L2 button so that you are looking up ice while skating backwards? That helps me a bit on D.

gtrshow said...

I spent some more time with it today, and tried everything (L2, game speed, etc.). It's a longstanding complaint I have with EA Hockey - horribly unrealistic player movement. Very disappointing. The game is for sale as we speak. It doesn't sound like 2K10 is very good, so it may be another year without video hockey. :>( Oh well, lots of other gaming goodies to keep me occupied!

Jim Schmaltz said...

For sale?! Wow, you really are disappointed! I still like the game a lot, but I am not a hockey fanatic the way you are. If I felt the same way about a football game, I'm sure I'd be majorly bummed as well.

gtrshow said...

More of the same from EA, unfortunately. When will they learn that ice does, in fact, have friction?