Friday, September 18, 2009

First (small) complaint about The Beatles: Rock Band

I wanted to go through the entire story mode playing an instrument and singing backup vocals. The Beatles' background vocals were such an integral part of what they did that it made perfect sense that Harmonix made them a key addition to this game. But things are a little bit different than I hoped - you cannot sing just the backing vocals if no one else is singing lead. At all times, if you are doing vocals, the lead part must be sung or the performance meter will drop until you fail the song.

This can be remedied 2 ways: Sing the lead vocal part and switch to background vocals when they come in, or play on the Easy setting with the No Fail mode on. Neither one is the ideal solution, however. Singing lead and then backing vocals is complicated, can leave you out of breath and, well, sort of defeats the purpose of wanting to sing just backup in the first place. And singing in No Fail mode is only available on the Easy setting, which is way way too simple. It's just not a challenge to hit the notes at this level. And even then, your score will be all screwed up because you are still being penalized for not singing the lead part.

I hope that the ability to sing JUST background will be added to the game. It's what I had envisioned when I learned that background vocals were to be included. It's certainly something I can live with the way it is now, but I am hoping this game keeps Getting Better All The Time.

3 comments:

gtrshow said...

Hmmm... This raises a question I have about Rock Band.

Is it possible to play bass if no one is playing the guitar track?

When I plug in the guitar, it defaults to the guitar track and I can't figure out how to switch it to bass. Connecting a second controller (which we don't have yet) would solve the problem, but it seems lame that you'd have to have an unused controller connected just to play bass. Joyce really wants to play bass, but has no interest in learning guitar.

Pete

Jim Schmaltz said...

As far as I remember, you can choose to play just bass over guitar. I know you can in TB:RB (and who wouldn't want to play bass in that game? Paul was the master musician in The Beatles). In other words, I'm not 100% sure, especially in RB2 since I do not have it.

gtshow said...

The option doesn't seem to be there in RB2, at least not that I've been able to figure out. No matter, the second guitar will be here within a week.