Friday, September 25, 2009

FIFA 10 gets a rave review from IGN UK

Usually the UK is pretty hard on the soccer, er...football games that come down the pike. Not this time. IGN UK loves FIFA 10, giving it a 9.3 overall score. What I found most promising was this passage:
"...results in a game that behaves exactly as you'd expect a real game of football to play out. This fidelity conversely makes FIFA 10 easier to play, and more importantly it's much more enjoyable than previous FIFAs."

Now I have always liked the previous FIFA titles because I love soccer (er, football) and the FIFA game features a crazy amount of teams and leagues. But the gameplay itself has often been frustrating to me. Pulling off routine moves such as headers seemed more like a chore than anything and after a while I got tired of feeling like I was always battling against the controls. The demo of FIFA 10 seemed to play a lot better to me (in the very limited time I spend with it) and now it appears as that will indeed be the case for full game. This is music to my ears.

I was seriously considering skipping FIFA this year, or at least relegating it to the Christmas List section, but now I may have to seriously rethink this. Of course as always the question will be just when will I find the time to play it? I am finishing up Fallout 3, so that will be done with before too long. But I still have many other games waiting for me, including open-ended games like The Beatles: Rock Band and a plethora of sports games, including the excellent Madden 10 and NHL 10. FIFA may not get played a lot right off the bat, but it will probably make my collection of sports games needing attention.

4 comments:

gtrshow said...

Who needs IGN when I have you? Always enjoy your writing and insight, pal.

Jim Schmaltz said...

Thanks buddy! I appreciate you reading and responding to the blog.

Dave said...

FIFA is always my most anticipated sports game. Can't wait for this one and the high score proves it.

gtrshow said...

I REALLY like the sounds of this...

"360-degree dribbling, freeing players from the eight-point axis that's previously constrained them "

Finally! Other sports games take note, please.