Friday, March 21, 2008

The beat goes on...

I am still spending my (limited) gaming time with both MLB '08: The Show and Bully. I am loving the RPG-lite elements in both games. In The Show, I resumed my RTTS career as the Cards' AA shortstop. The goals are still quite goofy in some cases (again with the bunting?!) but it is such a blast to play. As I mentioned earlier, I had been playing as a closer, which is great too, but I got anxious to do some more hitting. I can see myself coming back to this game all baseball season. It has that addictive, lets-play-one-more quality that makes it so hard to put down.

And let me tell you, Bully is right there with it. I have not had as much fun playing a game in quite a while. It has everything: a good story, easy pick-up-and-play game mechanics, a great variety of things to do, and tons of unlockable stuff. I am a sucker for unlockables, and this game is taking care of that nicely. What I like about Bully (well, I like virtually everything except the loading screens) is that it takes the familiar Grand Theft Auto gameplay and puts it in a more lighthearted setting. Don't get me wrong, GTA is great for intense, adult gaming. But Bully is a little more laid back and a lot lighter in tone. It's a bit easier as well, which is great if you are a geezer like me. This game is a real winner and it does make me anxious to see what the next GTA has to offer. So hats off to Rockstar for making a great stand-alone game that doubles as an appetite-whetter for GTA 4. I really hope a sequel to Bully is discussed. I'd be there on Day One. If you like the sand box genre of games, I can't recommend Bully enough.

So these 2 games are taking up all of my gaming time. Otherwise I'd already have Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds for the PS3. I am a big fan of the Hot Shots series (unlockables galore!) and have been waiting for this game for a while now. But I don't see any point in running out and picking it up when I am concentrating on 2 other games right now. In the past I have been the sort of gamer who gets part-way through a game and loses interest when the newest games are released. I am trying to get away from that by actually completing the games that I start and enjoy. Even if I like a game a lot, if something new comes out and I play that for a while, I rarely go back to the earlier game. So I am holding back from Hot Shots right now. After all, I still have some good games to go through. Would you believe I have not finished Call Of Duty 4, The Orange Box and have barely even touched Assassin's Creed? To be honest, I don't know if I will ever get around to them now. They are too far on the back-burner. From now on I am going to try to finish the games that I start and really like. I did it with Bioshock (my game of the year for 2007) and Mass Effect. And I definitely want to finish Bully before I move on to something else. After all, I still have Rock Band to go through as well!

2 comments:

Dave said...

That's why I went to Gamefly. I'd buy games and they'd sit here unopened. I'm trying my very best to concentrate on 1 sports game and 1 other type game at a time. It's working for the most part I guess. Good blog man!!!

George Theofanopoulos said...

Nice post Quint, I do agree that there are way too many games out at times that it makes it hard to concentrate on a select few. I'm trying to use self control on purchases.