Monday, March 31, 2008

Jay-Dubya

In the biggest news of the day, Barb and I finally agreed on a name for our boy in the womb. We really wanted to honor my father by naming the boy after him. With Herman as his middle name, we decided to opt instead for John, his first name. The boy will thank us later for that one, I am sure. I was also keen to honor Barb's father as well by giving the boy Arthur as a middle name. Arthur is Barb's dad's first name. But Barb was really solid that she wanted the baby to have part of my name as well, so we decided on my middle name, William. So when our little guy is born he will be christened John William Schmaltz. It's kinda cool in that one of the best guys I have ever known is a former coworker named John Williams. So in a small way it pays respect to him as well. And perhaps most important, John Williams is also the name of the Academy Award winning writer of the music for Jaws. In fact, if I can convince Barb to throw Arthur in as the first middle name and William as the second, his initials would be JAWS. I'll have to get cracking on that. But we did manage to cover a lot of bases with John William!

Barb went to the doctor today and she is doing okay. She still has her back pain and often suffers from severe heartburn. She is still not getting much sleep at all. I honestly don't know how she does it. But she's hanging in there and so is Jay-Dubya. We hope he decides to stay put in the oven until he's completely baked.

I love you, Barb. You're doing an amazing job.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't make your pregnant wife cry! It is a big day- and I am proud that our youngest son is being named after two such honorable men- that I respect so greatly. I credit my father in law for raising such an amazing son. John- whom I don't call John- but Dad-leads by example and not just words. John honors and respects his wife and family. Honest, loyal, and kind hearted- are just a few of the adjectives that describe my father in law as well as my husband. My Dad was honored by my sister using his middle name for her youngest son- so all Dad's are covered! :) My Dad is also a wonderful man and I am lucky to be married to a man that shares his value system of family, integrity, and commitment. The men in my life are truly on my list of greatest blessings!

Love, Laughter, and Friendship, Barb

Dave said...

Congrats you two and I'm still praying each and every day that things go well.

Jim Schmaltz said...

Thanks Dave. We really appreciate the prayers. You're a good friend, pal.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to meeting my nephew in person. (Mike LOVES the idea of JAWS for initials, but he's a boy!)

I am a little biased, but my dad, John, really is honorable, ethical and jut overall amazing. My own husband reminds me so much of my dad, that I am feel like I am still with immediate, blood family.

And my brother pretty much rocks, too. Both of my brothers do, actually.

Beth