Monday, March 17, 2008

My sister's wedding

My sister was married yesterday in a nice and relaxed Sunday wedding. Everything went perfectly. The ceremony itself was great. She and Mike (her husband) had prepared their own vows and they were witty and insightful, really capturing their personalities and their relationship perfectly. The reception followed and again, everything went off without a hitch. Everyone had a great time and it was so nice to see family and friends that I hadn't seen in while. My 16 year old Zach was an usher and he did a great job. He was really handsome in that tux. My 14 year old Jess was a bridesmaid and she did wonderfully as well. She hung out with Mike's daughter Brittany, who was maid of honor. As I mentioned in an earlier post, they have become really good friends and we couldn't be happier. The dresses were made by Mike's mom and she did a super job. All of the girls looked like lovely princesses. Meanwhile, Laurel, my 3 year old, got things off to a rough start by not wanting to pose for pictures. Then she stunned us all an hour later when she volunteered to pose for as many pictures as we wanted. She's a goofball. Later she danced with Hannah and Hayley, Mike's nieces. Well, dancing is putting it kindly; they basically did frenzied laps around the dance floor all night. Barb and I danced quite a few times as well, as many as her pregnant body and my sore feet would allow.

I could not be prouder of my sister Beth. She took on an awful lot to make this wedding so nice, and she never wavered once. She was always the picture of calm. Even yesterday, she had such a relaxed attitude and was so confident in herself that it was really special for me to witness. She and Mike delivered their vows loudly and proudly, each showing their commitment to one another for everyone to see. The whole affair was nothing but class, but not in that stuffy sort of way. It was perfect.

Beth was gorgeous in her dress. I was stunned when I first saw her; she looked like she had been ready for this moment all her life. It was so special to see my dad give her away, and their dance together was truly touching. My family adores Mike and we are so glad to have him and his wonderful family as part of ours. Here's hoping for nothing but the best for my sister and her new family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice summary! It was a beautiful day- and like you said it was great to see the extended family and friends that we don't get to see very often! You did not mention how handsome you looked in your tux! I might be biased but I was proud to swing around the dance floor with you- my growing belly and all! My wish for Mike and Beth is that they are as happy as we are- and maintain love, laughter, and friendship through out their marriage! I Love You!

Dave said...

Best wishes to the new couple and best wishes for the baby to both of you.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Brother! It was everything we both wanted. There are pricier weddings, more elegant weddings and bigger weddings. The important thing is that there aren't any where the couple are more in love and as committed to each other. People maybe AS in love and committed, but not more.

And I didn't cry during the ceremony! Mike and I both predicted I'd be bawling when Daddy walked me down the aisle.

Your kiddos, and of course you and Barb were priceless in making it come together. I knew from the start that chances were slim to none of Laurel walking down the aisle, but she was gorgeous and I was so glad to see her interacting with the equally cute Hannah and Halie.

Mike's mom said how brave I was to have 2 14-year-old bridesmaids, but they had such a positive energy and innocent beauty about them, they were perfect. (Although TOTALLY squirrelly while waiting to walk down the aisle.)

I was so proud of Zach. His dry sense of humor and relaxed, cool attitude always makes me smile. He looked so handsome! (And I love telling people who don't know the history that the tall skinny kid is my nephew. They never know what to say and kind of make a fish-out-of-water-gasping-for-air face.

I love that Mike adores my family so much, and is already planning some boys' night out festivities with his brother, brother-in-law and my brothers (which, oh yeah, are also brothers-in-law now!) I encourage it, and also let him know, after the baby, there will be a girl's night out, complete with chocolate martinis.

Thanks again for the lovely post. Mike and I appreciate it greatly. (He's telecommuting today, and it is hard for me to ignore him, as if he were in the office. I think I'll go to Mom and Dad's.)