Sunday, April 13, 2008

Expanding my range

For a long while my wireless connection to my gaming systems has been sub-par. My wireless router is on the 2nd floor while my game consoles are in the basement. I usually averaged around 40-50% on signal strength. I did some research and decided to get a wireless range expander despite reading that many folks simply could not get them to work. It arrived on Tuesday. After messing around for a while and finally calling the 1-800 customer service line, I was able to connect it to my router. Frankly, had I used my head rather than relying on some "special instructions" I found online, I would have been able to do it myself. I ended up making it harder than it needed to be.

Once I got it hooked up, I tried different places throughout the house to see where it would perform best. I ended up putting it down in the basement too, but almost directly under my wireless router. Since I have placed it there, the wireless signal strength on my PS3 is nearly always at 100%. The connection is much, much more reliable; I rarely, if ever, lose it. Needless to say I am extremely pleased with the range expander. For those interested, I went with the Linksys WRE54G model. What is really nice about that model is that you all you need to do is connect it to a regular electrical outlet. That's it. You don't need any sort of wired ethernet connection, so you can place it virtually anywhere in the house. If you are having low signal strength on your wireless network, I recommend the WRE54G most highly. Just make sure your wireless router is listed as compatible with the WRE54G before you buy.

No comments: