Monday, April 28, 2008

Grading the Rams' draft

Overall I like the Rams' draft. Long is a good, safe pick and though lots of folks (including me, initially) ripped on the Rams for taking Avery in the 2nd, O-coordinator Al Saunders was behind the pick because he says he is the best fit for the system. Plus he has been compared to Isaac Bruce coming out of college. That's A-OK with me. The Rams were extremely unimpressed with the top rated receivers, so they followed their convictions.

I also think WR Keenan Burton out of Kentucky will be a fine player as well. I think Avery is the 3rd receiver and Burton will be the 4th. That's good value.

The Rams also beefed up the OL, which was a problem last year because of so many injuries. They think John Greco out of Toledo can challenge Alex Barron for the RT job. And he is versatile and can fill in anywhere when needed. Roy Schuening from Oregon State is also a good prospect. The Rams added some much needed depth to the O-line.

CB Justin King from Penn St. seems awfully raw to me. He reminds me of last year's 3rd round pick Jonathan Wade. He is a great athlete but is not a natural tackler or defender. We'll have to see how he pans out.

Overall, I'd give the Rams a solid B for this draft.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I may be wrong, but I feel that the Titans had a horrible draft. I'm apparently not alone in that feeling either.